Workers’ Compensation Claims

Aggressive Advocacy For Workers’ Compensation Claims

Workers’ Compensation claims can be complicated and intimidating to deal with. You are injured and not at your best, you have to deal with the state and their endless hoop jumping, and you may also be dealing with an angry employer or an employer who is trying to prevent you from reporting the incident that caused your injury. It can be confusing and hard to know what the right thing to do is at any point in the process. Notify your employer or an authorized representative like your supervisor, or Safety or Human Resources department, immediately after you are injured.

First Step: Get Medical Help

If you are ill or injured due to a work-related incident, get medical help immediately. Don’t listen if your employer is begging you not to, or asks you not to mention that your reason for needing medical attention is work-related. Some employers will resort to threats of termination to prevent injured employees from reporting incidents; others will “reasonably” explain that they’re provided medical insurance, so there really is no need to report the incident, since your medical bills are covered. It’s illegal for an employer to fire you for reporting a work-related injury, and while your employer’s health coverage may cover all or part of your medical expenses, that may not cover all of your losses. If you need medical attention, go and get it. You have a right to it, and your employer has no right to stop you from getting it.

Workers’ Compensation Claims Attorney

Workers’ Compensation Claims Attorney

Work-Related Injuries

The phrase “work-related injuries” is kind of weird and awkward, but it has a very specific meaning. It’s not just injuries that happen in your workplace. It also includes things that happen on job-sites, certain motor vehicle accidents, illnesses caused by something that happened at work, and it also includes health problems that were caused by something that happened at work, but didn’t show up at work. For example, if you’re exposed to a toxin at work, but you seem fine at first, then go home and have a heart attack because of it, that’s a work-related incident, even though you had the heart attack at home. OSHA has an extremely specific, exhaustive, and fairly disgusting list of injuries and illnesses, when they should be considered work-related, and when employers are required to report them to OSHA.

Next Step: Call An Attorney

If you’ve been treated for a work-related injury or illness, you need to consult a reputable attorney who is experienced in handling Workers’ Compensation claims. Even if you think your injuries are minor and your employer is “playing fair,” you need to lay the foundation for protecting your rights, just in case something goes wrong with your health or with your claim, going forward. You never know when today’s sore back might turn into a chronic condition that will require additional medical treatment, physical therapy, or, in a more severe case, it might even require that you be trained to do a different job. After you’ve been treated for your work-related injury, contact the Law Offices of Kevin Cortright for a free consultation. We’ll let you know whether you need to take further legal action, and how to protect your rights in case the situation changes in the future.